Join our mailing list to receive property alerts and the occasional newsletter.
A rare three-bedroom duplex in Chamberlin, Powell and Bon’s Grade II listed Golden Lane Estate. The apartment is situated on the second and third floors of Hatfield House and benefits from a south-facing balcony with views overlooking a tennis court and towards the Barbican Estate. The second floor comprises a modern compact kitchen, an open plan living-dining room with the original cantilevered staircase, and a large bedroom which could be used as a study. There are two further double bedrooms on the third floor and a modern bathroom. The apartment is filled with an abundance of light with full-width glazing in the living room, including a double-height window that opens to the balcony.
The property is available from 22 May 2020.
Residents have access to the Golden Lane Estate swimming pool, tennis and badminton courts at preferential rates. There is a Waitrose supermarket close by, and the Barbican Arts Centre is also within walking distance. Clerkenwell has a fantastic selection of restaurants, pubs and bars.
There are several Underground stations within very close proximity: Barbican (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and Old Street (Northern Line) and Farringdon Underground (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and British Rail station are also within walking distance. The new Farringdon Crossrail Station will be a welcome addition to the area, giving direct access to four of London's International Airports.
Award-winning Golden Lane Estate was the result of a competition, held in 1951 by City of London, to design housing on a heavily bombed site on the southern border of Finsbury. The competition attracted 178 entries, but the winning entry was by Geoffry Powell (1920–1999). Powell joined forces with his colleagues Peter (Joe) Chamberlin (1919–1978) and Christof Bon (1921–1999) and commenced on their first housing project. They later went on to design the neighbouring Barbican Estate.
The architects embraced an innovative approach to design, rejecting the traditional urban forms such as streets lined with houses. The scheme comprises nine blocks —incorporating shops, a pub, a community centre, a swimming pool, tennis courts, courtyards, a fish pond and underground car parking. The first phase of the estate was officially opened in 1957, with the last phase completed in 1962. The estate was popular from the off and the first residents to move in included an architect, a doctor, nurses and teachers.
Internally the flats are modest in proportion, but the spaces are cleverly designed with the use of sliding partitions, for example, to maximise space and light. The estate was given Grade II Listed building status in 1997 with the exception of Crescent House which is Grade II*.