A rarely available two-bedroom duplex in Chamberlin, Powell and Bon’s Grade II-listed Golden Lane Estate situated in Hatfield House, overlooking the residents' allotments.
The apartment is entered on the raised ground floor which comprises the kitchen and an open-plan living/dining room, which is filled with light and features the iconic double-height counter-weighted windows, as well as the original finger parquet floor. The concrete cantilevered open-tread stairs lead to two double bedrooms, with original built-in wardrobes, and the bathroom.
The apartment benefits from a private south-facing balcony with views towards the Barbican Estate. Access to parking is available in the neighbouring Barbican Estate.
—Rent is exclusive of bills and is offered unfurnished, but is inclusive of a washing machine, dishwasher and fridge freezer.
—The property is available immediately
Residents have access to the Golden Lane Estate swimming pool, tennis and badminton courts at preferential rates. There is a Waitrose supermarket close by, and the Barbican Arts Centre is also within walking distance. Clerkenwell, Smithfield Market. Farringdon and Old Street are all within short walking distance and have a fantastic selection of restaurants, pubs and bars.
There are several Underground stations within very close proximity: Barbican (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and Old Street (Northern Line) and Farringdon Underground (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and British Rail station are also within walking distance. The new Farringdon Crossrail Station will be a welcome addition to the area, giving direct access to four of London’s International Airports.
Award-winning Golden Lane Estate was the result of a competition, held in 1951 by City of London, to design housing on a heavily bombed site on the southern border of Finsbury. The competition attracted 178 entries, but the winning entry was by Geoffry Powell (1920–1999). Powell joined forces with his colleagues Peter (Joe) Chamberlin (1919–1978) and Christof Bon (1921–1999) and commenced on their first housing project. They later went on to design the neighbouring Barbican Estate.
The architects embraced an innovative approach to design, rejecting the traditional urban forms such as streets lined with houses. The scheme comprises nine blocks —incorporating shops, a pub, a community centre, a swimming pool, tennis courts, courtyards, a fish pond and underground car parking. The first phase of the estate was officially opened in 1957, with the last phase completed in 1962. The estate was popular from the off and the first residents to move in included an architect, a doctor, nurses and teachers.
The estate was given Grade II Listed building status in 1997 with the exception of Crescent House which is Grade II*.