Join our mailing list to receive property alerts and the occasional newsletter.
A unique opportunity to rent a retail unit in the parade of shops which form part of the famous Golden Lane Estate on Goswell Road in Clerkenwell, designed by the same architects as the nearby Barbican Estate. The unit is currently a women’s hairdresser’s and configured as an open plan space on the ground floor. There are dual aspect, full-width windows towards Goswell Road as well as the Golden Lane Estate side. Additionally, there is a large basement with parking facilities and direct street access with high ceilings, a separate WC. Total floor area is approx 82.1 sqm (883.7 sq ft).
The shop would be suitable for a variety of different retail occupiers. The premise is an A1 full repairing and insuring lease and within the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954. The current lease is 10 years commencing from 23 August 2017, rent review on the fifth year.
Current rent: £17,800 per annum (VAT exempted)
Premium: OIRO £60,000
There a number of Underground stations within very close proximity: Barbican (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and Old Street (Northern Line) and Farringdon Underground (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and British Rail station are also within walking distance. The new Farringdon Crossrail Station will be a welcome addition to the area, giving direct access to four of London's International Airports.
Award-winning Golden Lane Estate was the result of a competition, held in 1951 by City of London, to design housing on a heavily bombed site on the southern border of Finsbury. The competition attracted 178 entries, but the winning entry was by Geoffry Powell (1920–1999). Powell joined forces with his colleagues Peter (Joe) Chamberlin (1919–1978) and Christoph Bon (1921–1999) and commenced on their first housing project. They later went on to design the neighbouring Barbican Estate.
The architects embraced an innovative approach to design, rejecting the traditional urban forms such as streets lined with houses. The scheme comprises nine blocks—incorporating shops, a pub, a community centre, a swimming pool, tennis courts, courtyards, a fish pond and underground car parking. The first phase of the estate was officially opened in 1957, with the last phase completed in 1962. The estate was popular from the off and the first residents to move in included an architect, a doctor, nurses and teachers. The estate was given Grade II Listed building status in 1997 with the exception of Crescent House which is Grade II*.
These particulars do not form any part of a contract or Offer. The details contained are issued without responsibility on the part of the firm or their clients and therefore are not to be relied upon as statements of facts. Any intending purchaser must satisfy himself as to the correctness of each statement. The vendor does not make or give, and neither the firm nor any of their employees have any authority to make or give, any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property.