A bright studio flat on the first floor of Cullum Welch House in Grade II-listed Golden Lane Estate, designed by Chamberlin, Powell and Bon. The apartment retains many original features including the kitchen, bathroom, quarry tiled floor and exposed brickwork with built-in shelves. There is also plenty of built-in storage, including a wardrobe in the hall. The separate kitchen, with original fitted units, benefits from a washing machine. Rent is exclusive of bills. It is offered furnished or unfurnished and available now.
Residents have access to the Golden Lane Estate swimming pool, tennis and badminton courts at preferential rates. There is a Waitrose supermarket close by, and the Barbican Arts Centre is also within walking distance. Clerkenwell has a fantastic selection of restaurants, pubs and bars. There a number of Underground stations within very close proximity: Barbican (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and Old Street (Northern Line) and Farringdon Underground (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and British Rail station are also within walking distance. The new Farringdon Crossrail Station will be a welcome addition to the area, giving direct access to four of London's International Airports.
Award-winning Golden Lane Estate was the result of a competition, held in 1951 by City of London, to design housing on a heavily bombed site on the southern border of Finsbury. The competition attracted 178 entries, but the winning entry was by Geoffry Powell (1920–1999). Powell joined forces with his colleagues Peter (Joe) Chamberlin (1919–1978) and Christof Bon (1921–1999) and commenced on their first housing project. They later went on to design the neighbouring Barbican Estate.
The architects embraced an innovative approach to design, rejecting the traditional urban forms such as streets lined with houses. The scheme comprises nine blocks—incorporating shops, a pub, a community centre, a swimming pool, tennis courts, courtyards, a fish pond and underground car parking. The first phase of the estate was officially opened in 1957, with the last phase completed in 1962. The estate was popular from the off and the first residents to move in included an architect, a doctor, nurses and teachers.
Internally the flats are modest in proportion, but the spaces are cleverly designed with the use of sliding partitions, for example, to maximise space and light. The estate was given Grade II Listed building status in 1997 with the exception of Crescent House which is Grade II*.