This newly renovated two-bedroom maisonette in Chamberlin, Powell and Bon’s Grade II-listed Golden Lane Estate is situated in Bowater House. It has recently undergone a complete sympathetic renovation, reinstating and refurbishing many original features such as the colour scheme, serving hatch and parquet flooring. It benefits from being situated at the end and on the top two floors of this low-rise building. The lower floor comprises a modern, fully fitted kitchen, a hallway with the original quarry tiles, and an open plan living/dining area that opens to a generous balcony overlooking Fann Street with views towards the Barbican. A unique feature of these top-floor maisonettes is the timber staircase, whose underside neatly incorporates bookshelves. Upstairs the landing and bathroom benefit from natural light via clerestory skylights. There are two double bedrooms, one with fitted wardrobes, and a modern bathroom.
Residents have access to the Golden Lane Estate swimming pool, tennis and badminton courts at preferential rates. There is a Waitrose supermarket close by, and the Barbican Arts Centre and cinemas are also within walking distance. Clerkenwell, Smithfield Market, Farringdon and Old Street are all within short walking distance and have a fantastic selection of restaurants, pubs and bars.
There are several Underground stations within very close proximity: Barbican (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and Old Street (Northern Line) and Farringdon Underground (Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan Lines) and British Rail station are also within walking distance. The new Farringdon Crossrail Station is a welcome addition to the area, giving direct access to four of London's International Airports.
Award-winning Golden Lane Estate was the result of a competition, held in 1951 by City of London, to design housing on a heavily bombed site on the southern border of Finsbury. The competition attracted 178 entries, but the winning entry was by Geoffry Powell (1920–1999). Powell joined forces with his colleagues Peter (Joe) Chamberlin (1919–1978) and Christof Bon (1921–1999) and commenced on their first housing project. They later went on to design the neighbouring Barbican Estate.
The architects embraced an innovative approach to design, rejecting the traditional urban forms such as streets lined with houses. The scheme comprises nine blocks — incorporating shops, a pub, a community centre, a swimming pool, tennis courts, courtyards, a fish pond and underground car parking. The first phase of the estate was officially opened in 1957, with the last phase completed in 1962. The estate was popular from the off and the first residents to move in included an architect, a doctor, nurses and teachers.
The estate was given Grade II Listed building status in 1997 with the exception of Crescent House which is Grade II*.
—Please note, all emails are forwarded directly to the landlord